Saturday morning . . . isn’t it supposed to be a day for sleeping in a little? For just taking it easy? It is? Hm . . . . someone needs to tell US that! Poor hubby was wide awake and up by 4:30, and I had horrible muscle spasms in my feet and legs from about 4:30 on . . . I’m sitting here munching on bananas right now trying to see if some potassium will help. Ouch!
Button Day – Aren’t buttons fun? No, I’m not crazy, they really can be. Especially the really old, antique ones that are unique shapes, sizes and designs. Walk down the aisle in a fabric store and you will be stunned by all the different buttons you see! When I was about two years old I had a fascination with my Grandma J’s button box. Like most women at that time, when she had to discard an article of clothing, she saved the buttons and zippers, then used the clothing for quilt squares. She kept all of the buttons in this ornate box and when I came to visit (or have Grandma babysit for me) we would sit there and sort through the buttons. I would pick out the most colorful, interesting ones, and she would spend some time sewing them all over the front of my sweatshirt. This was always a thrill for me, but sometimes not so thrilling for my Mom when my shirt was a new one. This is one of my happiest memories with Grandma J – she was a tough woman and many of my memories with her aren’t so fun, so it’s nice to have this one. There are also buttons like you’d get with fun or political sayings and pictures on them. Many people collect those. So the real meaning and purpose of this day could be varied, depending on the type of buttons you like. So how would you celebrate this one? There are several ways!
- Button Collecting and Display Day – collect and display clothing buttons
- Button Up Day- ‘cuz it’s cold outside!
- Pushing Your Buttons Day – (This one could be dangerous – so be careful)
- Belly Button Day – (I can see this one being fun if you have a little kid to tickle)
- Belly Button Fuzz Day -(ok, now this is just gross)
- Wear Buttons Day – (My favorites have always been the smiley face ones)
However you choose to celebrate, have a Happy Button Day!
Party With Your Teddy Bear Day – I’m thinking this one would be most fun if you have kids, or are a grown-up who is REALLY attached to your teddy bears. In either of those cases, having a party with your teddy bear could really shape your day up to be fun! Having a party and spending time with your teddy bear? Fun! Get out the party banners and balloons, make a cake and even send out the invitations (again – this may be best if you have little kids) to all your friends with teddy bears. This could end up being one of the best days you have had in a long time. (If you do celebrate this one – could you send me a couple of pictures? I’d love to see your Teddy Bear party)
Guinness World Record Day – I remember sitting for hours and reading the Guinness World Records book, shocked by the lengths people would go to qualify to get into it. Well, in 2004 the book wasn’t enough, and the Guinness World Records Day was set up, and thousands of people come together to celebrate the international day of record-breaking.
2004 was chosen to commemorate the year that the book became the world’s best-selling copyright book. Amazing and awe inspiring feats, from crazy bonkers to absolutely brilliant, are attempted by people everywhere so they can get their picture and name in this famous book. So what records were broken just yesterday for entrance to these pages?
* 325 people have waddled their way to a new record for the largest gathering of people dressed as penguins – read more and watch video here
* Hula queen Marawa the Amazing’ has led a team of ten in London to the world record for most hula hoops spun simultaneously – read more and watch video here
* German daredevil Joe Alexander is celebrating two world records after setting new benchmarks for most darts caught by hand in one minute and most upright bottles walked across – read more and watch videos here
* Kenichi Ito has broken his own record for the fastest 100m running on all fours in Tokyo, Japan – read more and watch video here
* Norway’s Helge Johansen’s has unfurled the world’s Largest Knitted Scarf in Oslo – read more and watch video here
* Harlem Globetrotter’s star Corey “Thunder” Law incredible attempt for longest basketball shot in Phoenix, USA – read more and watch video here.
* Tim Wade’s attempt at the Most Consecutive Handsprings in Texas, USA – read more and watch video here.
* New Yorker Scott Wiener takes largest collection of pizza boxes title – read more here.
Commenting on the displays of record breaking, Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief, Craig Glenday, said: “If you’ve ever dreamt of getting your name in the world’s most famous record book, this is your chance. Guinness World Records Day brings together like minded people, whether they’re hula-hoopers, sword swallowers or penguin fancy-dressers, and it’s free and open to absolutely anyone.” So, there you go! Find a category that suits you and go for it! If you aren’t wanting to break records for yourself, maybe just click on a few of the links above to see some pretty amazing pictures.
Food Celebration of the Day –
National Fast Food Day – I admit it, I do like some fast food. Not ALL fast food places are appetizing, but there are a few that once in awhile I enjoy indulging myself with. This past weekend actually was the 1st weekend in close to a year that I’ve had anything from a fast food restaurant and I admit, I did enjoy it. Of course, I got the kids meal – no reason to absolutely put my system in shock from the extra calories and fat, right? Fun fact: The first Happy Meal was served in 1979. It contained a hamburger, french fries, cookies, a soda and, of course, a toy. Below are some really fun copycat recipes to try at home – fast food AND knowing what’s in it? Does it get better than that?
- Copycat Chick-Fil-A Chicken Sandwich
- Sonic’s Ocean Water Drink
- Steak ‘n Shake Chili
- Taco Bell Enchiritos
- Wendy’s Frosty
- In-N-Out Double Double
- Better-Than-Arby’s Roast Beef Sandwich
Well, today’s a fun day for sure! Lots here to pick and choose from! As for me? I’m going to start pacing the floor to try to work out these darn spasms in my legs, then get myself my 1st cup of coffee for the day. God Bless You and I’ll see you tomorrow!