Today is Trivia Day! As with many of these days, nobody really knows whether it was intended to be serious, or maybe it was just some advertising gimmick for an ecard service, but no matter who started it, this is a fun day. How many of us have all of these little nuggets of positively useless information rattling around in our heads? I know I have a few! I’ll share two that I remember very clearly from High School.
I had a teacher in high school that felt it was important to shake things up and keep us listening. I had him for speech and DECA, and he was one of my favorites who always kept things interesting. One little tidbit he tested us on was this. . . What are the little plastic things on the ends of your shoelaces called? Give up? AGLETS! I didn’t even know that they had a name! I have never forgotten that, it just sort of stuck.
Another teacher told us the actual length of time that a moment is . . . so when someone says “Be with you in a moment” or “Just a moment” we could start the clock . . . It’s 2.5 minutes! I always thought it was faster than that, but nope – 2.5 minutes. We were tested on that one too. I think he’d been talking with my speech teacher . . . just sayin . . .
A few things I just looked up that I didn’t know . . . and not sure I ever needed to. I heard somewhere that for every piece of information we soak into our brains, we lose a piece because we only have so much room up there. I’d like to think this isn’t true, but on the chance that it is, I must wonder if one of the following little beauties have kicked something that is actually important out of my brain. Too late now. Sigh.
* A capon is a castrated rooster.
* A Cornish game hen is really a young chicken, usually 5 to 6 weeks of age, that weighs no more than 2 pounds. (If I verify this and its true, I’ll never eat Cornish Game Hen again)
* Carnivorous animals will not eat another animal that has been hit by a lightning strike.
(I would like to know just who figured this one out – and how?)
* A cluster of bananas is called a hand and consists of 10 to 20 bananas, which are known as fingers.
* Almonds and pistachios are the only nuts mentioned in the Bible.
* You’re more likely to be a target for mosquitoes if you consume bananas. (Good thing I don’t eat THAT many bananas – now I won’t eat any this summer!)
* In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.
* A duck’s quack doesn’t echo and nobody knows why!
* Did you know that there are coffee flavored Pez candies? And why have I never found any of these little delicacies???
* 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321 huh . . . wow!
* Hershey Kisses Candies are called kisses because the machine that makes them looks like it’s kissing the conveyor belt.
* 5 Jello flavors that flopped – celery, coffee, cola, apple and chocolate. (I can see why!)
* Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously. (And HOW do they know this??? Were they just running around injecting baking spices into people and had an OOPS?)
* The first toilet ever seen on TV was on Leave It To Beaver. (I want to know if anyone was scandalized)
And the one that made me nearly spit juice out my nose when I started laughing . . .
* In Cleveland, OH it is illegal to catch mice without a hunting license! (HAHAHAHAHA!!!)
Ok, I have now shared 15 bits of useless Trivia that you may or may not have heard before . . . PLEASE enjoy this day with me by sharing some Trivia that you may have rattling around upstairs! You never know when there will be a pop quiz.